Once the minimum setup requirements are defined, you can begin to configure the server to use all of its features and functions.
- Create the device groups and subgroups, in the Device Groups view, that you can use to group monitored devices that are physically or logically associated with each other, for easier access to information about associated devices.
- Assign devices to the device groups by selecting Unassigned in the Device Groups view and dragging them from the Device View into your groups and subgroups.
- Add the local and remote users and user groups that you want to have access to the server, and define the monitoring and surveillance access that non-Administrators users and user groups will have at the exiting device groups, by selecting Users and Device Group Access in the System menu.
- Customize the Map View for a group selected in the Device Groups view, by using the and right-click options in the Map View.
- Define any new alert actions, alert thresholds, and alert profiles you want to use for the NetBotz Appliances the Data Center Expert server monitors, using the NetBotz Appliance Configuration > Alert Settings options in the Device menu.
- Create virtual sensors to view and monitor the average or total value of multiple numeric sensors of the same sensor type, using the options in the Virtual Sensors view.
- Define any new alarm actions, thresholds, and notification policies you want to use for the SNMP and Modbus devices the Data Center Expert server monitors, using the options in the Alarm Configuration menu.
- Define the remaining administration settings, as needed, using Server Administration Settings in the System menu.
- Configure the settings the Data Center Expert server uses to communicate with its monitored SNMP devices, as needed, using SNMP Device Communication Settings in the Device menu.
- Configure the settings the Data Center Expert server uses to communicate with its monitored Modbus devices, as needed, using Modbus Device Communication Settings in the Device menu.
- Configure settings the Data Center Expert server uses to communicate with its monitored NetBotz Appliances, as needed, using NetBotz Appliance Communication Settings in the Device menu.
- Define custom property keys that describe monitored devices using the Add Custom Property option in the Monitoring perspective or Custom Properties Editor view.
- Manage custom property keys using the Custom Properties Editor view or Manage Custom Property Keys option in the Device menu.
License your surveillance cameras, if any, using the Thumbnails view.
Note: A surveillance license must be entered in the License Keys section of the "Server Administration Settings" display.
Configure the settings that affect how the surveillance equipment operates, using Surveillance Settings in the Device menu.
Note: At least one camera must be defined as licensed to configure these settings.
- Define the settings for your Data Center Expert client, using Client Preferences in the File menu.
- Define how often you want the Data Center Expert server to check for firmware updates available from APC, using Schedule Update Checks in the Updates menu.
- Configure the settings the Data Center Expert server will use to log on to the web interface at the monitored devices, using the right-click Device Launch Settings option in either the Device View or Map View.
- Generate and manage graph or table-formatted reports for device sensors, using the Saved Reports view, or the right-click Generate Sensor History Report option in the Device Groups view, Device View, and Map View.
- Configure the Data Center Expert server to send SNMPv1traps and SNMPv3 informs to defined Network Management System consoles for alarms that occur at the monitored SNMP, Modbus, and NetBotz Appliances, and associated devices, using Network Management System Integration in the Alarm Configuration menu.
- Configure settings at one or more of the monitored APC SNMP devices, using APC SNMP Device Configuration in the Device menu.
- Select devices to enable for Modbus support, a separately licensed feature, using the Building Management Settings option in the System menu.
- Configure settings used to integrate the Data Center Expert server with PowerLogic™ ION Enterprise using the ION Enterprise Settings option in the System menu.