APC, MGE, NetBotz Appliances, and third-party devices are added to the list of devices the Data Center Expert server monitors by creating and running device discovery processes.
As devices are discovered, they are added to the All Devices and Unassigned device groups in the Device Groups view by default, or, if you have created other device groups, you can place devices into a device group you select.
There are separate discovery processes for each type of device:
- SNMPv1 devices: APC or third-party devices that use basic SNMP communications
- SNMPv3 devices: APC or third-party devices that use secured SNMP communications
- NetBotz Appliances (except for the 250, 300, 303, 310, 400, 410, and 750 models. Use the SNMP discovery process for these NetBotz models.)
- Modbus TCP
You can run a discovery process once, rerun that process whenever you want, or schedule that process to run periodically. You initiate a discovery process by accessing the "Device Discovery" wizard in the following ways:
- Select Add Devices in the Device menu.
- Right-click on any device in the Device View or Map View, and select Add Devices.
- Click the green plus sign icon ( ) in the Device View.
- Right-click anywhere in the Saved Discovery view, and select Add.
- Right-click on a discovery process listed in the Saved Discovery view, and select Run, to rerun that process, or Edit, to run an edited version.