For example, you can use custom properties to store links to external information, such as links to files, web pages, and general URLs.
You configure which custom properties to include in your system through the Tools menu. Once this configuration is done, you can apply the custom properties and add relevant values for individual items. Creating templates allows you to reuse standard properties.
When you have configured properties, you can add values to an individual piece of equipment in the Custom Properties section of the Properties dialog box for the item.
Configuring custom properties
When configuring custom properties, you can define rules for how the users are allowed to enter data in the properties fields when using custom properties.
Restricting data entry based on property types prevents users from typing data not complying to the type, e.g. in a phone number field, the user must type numbers; in IP fields, the user must type a valid IP format.
The List and List Values fields enable you to create your own drop-down list with options any user can select from when applying custom properties (Value field inCustom Properties) to equipment.
Although a property may be defined as mandatory, users are not prevented from leaving the field empty. The system will display a recommendation to enter data.
Although a property may be defined as unique, users are not prevented from entering identical values. The system will display a warning.
Configuring new custom properties
- Open Tools>Configuring Custom Properties.
- Select a Property Type to restrict user entries to this data type.
See below for information about the use of links and e-mails.
- Enter a description of what the property will contain (optional).
- Create a drop-down list of options to select from by selecting List and entering the options to include in the drop-down list (optional).
- Indicate if the property is mandatory or unique.
Modifying custom property configurations in use
If you modify a custom property name, the system updates any existing property values.
If you modify a custom property type, the system performs a conversion of any existing property values. If you have properties in the system that are not compatible with the new type, the system keeps both versions and you must consolidate:
- In the Configure Custom Properties dialog box, right-click the property with the conflict and select Consolidate.
- Select the target property you want to keep.
Configuring custom property templates
- Open Tools>Configuring Custom Properties and select the Templates tab.
- Click the Add new template icon and name your template.
- Click in the Custom Properties column to select the properties to include.
Using custom properties
When custom properties have been configured, you can apply property values to items in the system.
- Right-click an item in Navigation or Layout, such as a room, floor or rack-mounted equipment and select Properties>Custom Properties.
- Add custom properties to the list.
Linking through custom properties
If you start a property value with
file://, you will create a clickable link in the list of custom properties and will also add Custom Links to the context menu for the equipment item. This allows you to store for example a photo of the equipment or any equipment documentation, or create a link to product pages.
You can even launch a Remote Desktop Connection to a server through an RDP link.
Sending e-mails through custom properties
If a custom property has been configured for storing valid e-mail addresses, you will create a clickable e-mail link if you type a valid e-mail address.
Clicking the link will open the default e-mail system on the computer, preparing to send an e-mail with the path of the equipment in the subject line.
Using custom property templates
When templates have been created, a new context menu option appears on items, allowing you to apply the templates to items in the system.
- Right-click an item, for example in the layout and select Custom Property Templates>Your template name.
- Click OK to apply the template.
You can add more custom properties to this item if you want in addition to the ones added with the template.