First, install the Data Center Operation server from a prepared installation media: USB key or out-of-band management (OOM) interface. Then, after installing the server, install the clients.
You do not need to preinstall an OS, as the Data Center Operation installer image includes all needed installation material, including CentOS.
Separate instructions are available for recommendations for installing DCO in a virtual environment.
- You have prepared a bootable installation media with the Data Center Operation Installer Image file.
- Ensure the media has sufficient space (4GB) and is clean before copying the ISO to it.
- Download the ISO from a location provided by the support team. To locate the telephone number for your region, visit Contact Us.
Read about creating the bootable installation media here.
When you have a bootable installation media with the DCO installer, you can install the Data Center Operation server to any computer according to your licenses.
Installing the Data Center Operation server
It is recommended that you follow the on-screen instructions and select the default options unless you have specific requirements.
Insert the Data Center Operation installation media.
- Connect a keyboard and display.
- Ensure the BIOS settings enable the server to boot from the installation media and the server is connected to the network during the entire installation process.
Complete installation process (animated)
4. In the Data Center Operation boot menu, select Install Standalone to install a stand-alone Data Center Operation server with CentOS customization options described in step 5.
The menu also includes a cluster installation option. Separate instructions are available for installing DCO in a clustered environment. In addition, a few more options not relevant to the initial installation are available:
- Boot from local drive To skip the menu and continue booting from the local system disk.
- Troubleshooting To troubleshoot installation problems.
But let's proceed with the installation...
5. Follow the installation wizard and set the CentOS language, date and time, and keyboard options for your Data Center Operation server.
a) When the CentOS language settings are displayed, select the language to be used for the installation process as well as the default language of the installed system.
b) When the date and time options are displayed, select your country or the location matching your time zone.
c) For setups without network time synchronization needs, set Network Time to OFF, and select time zone on the map.
For setups with network time synchronization needs, set Network Time to ON. Next to Network Time ON, click the settings icon to open NTP options, add an NTP server, verify it is working, and select use.
Wait for the time (in the bottom left) to update, matching your current time. If NTP settings doesn't work, you can set the time manually on the server (especially important in cluster setups).
d) Review the keyboard settings.
You do not need to set up partitions as default LVM partitioning, allowing for easy disk space upgrades, is included in the installation.
Custom partitioning is not recommended since it has no benefit on performance and will make troubleshooting and support more difficult.
For networks without DHCP, you can assign a static IP to the ethernet interface:
- Click NETWORK & HOST NAME, then Configure...
- Click IPv4 Settings, and in Method select Manual.
- Click Add, type your static IP and click Save.
6. Click Begin Installation.
7. Select USER CREATION to create the first OS user on the Data Center Operation server with administration rights.
This is a Linux user used for server configuration Operations through command line, SSH and Webmin. You do not need to set the root password as it has been disabled for many functions in Data Center Operation.
Do not use common usernames, such as apc or admin, and ensure the user is an administrator.
This step is important as, unless you create this administrator user (other than the root user) during installation, you'll not be able to access the server through SSH later.
For clarification, read more about users here.
8. Take a break while waiting for the installation to complete, for the server to reboot, and the Data Center Operation software to initialize.
It will be several minutes.
9. Remove the installation media.
The Data Center Operation server is now installed and is ready for use.
10. Log in to the Data Center Operation web client as default user (credentials: apc/apc) and, as the very first thing, immediately change the password.
Data Center Operation uses a different set of users than the Linux OS users (used for the Data Center Operation server installation itself).
For security reasons, it is recommended that you create a new Data Center Operation administration user with a complete set of user rights, including user administration rights, and then delete the default apc/apc user, or at the very least that you change the password of the apc user.
You can proceed with server configuration and client installations as required.
For information on security related settings, see Data Center Operation security.
Installing Data Center Operation clients
DCO web client is automatically available
You don't need to install the DCO web client as it is automatically available with the server installation. When the server installation has been completed, simply open a web browser and launch to the DCO server IP address to log in and start using the web client.
However, If you want to make the DCO web client or Tenant Portal available to your colleagues or customers directly from the Internet, you need to set up web client access. See more about setting up web client access here.
Installing DCO desktop client
Prerequisites: The Data Center Operation server installation has been completed.
- On the computer on which to install the Data Center Operation client, open a web browser and launch to the IP address or hostname of the DCO server
<serverIPaddress>to log in to the web client and get access to the desktop client download.
(The DCO web client is automatically available with the server installation.)
- If you're not an English speaker, select your preferred language from the profile menu Language option (profile image in the upper right corner).
- In Administration>Licenses add your license keys to enable download according to your purchased licenses.
- In the profile menu select Download Desktop Clients.
- On the download page click to download the Data Center Operation software according to your license and follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
- Repeat the above steps on all client computers.