You can import asset related data from ServiceNow into Data Center Operation (DCO). ServiceNow asset management controls the inventory and asset life cycle from planning to disposal. The integration of asset management data from ServiceNow into DCO simplifies management of the complex data and reduces data manipulation, providing a single source of information.
Any updates to the Configuration Item table data are synchronized with the Configuration item table in DCO. Before the updates are pushed to DCO, merging of data occurs in a staging database. Once merge is completed, the data is synchronized with DCO.
- ServiceNow version Eureka or above
- ServiceNow user access to web services for integration
- Open port and communication between DCO and ServiceNow (ServiceNow port number depends on the customer installation)
These ServiceNow assets fields will always be synchronized with DCO:
|Name in ServiceNow||Name in DCO|
|Model category||Model name|
|Sys_id (for logical use only)||ci_id (for logical use only, not visible)|
In addition, you can select extra ServiceNow fields to push to DCO:
Using the Excel spreadsheet provided with the connector (Fields_mapping.xls), you can define which ServiceNow asset related fields you want to push to DCO.
It is recommended that you ask your local ServiceNow partner to retrieve the information needed for each field: table that contains the field and field name.
One way to retrieve this information is to:
- Navigate, in ServiceNow, to the dictionary and filter the view by searching the table cmdb_ci.
- Search for the fields you want to push to DCO and note their corresponding table (cmdb_ci, cmdb_ci_server…, etc.), their corresponding column name (=field name) and if the type is “Reference”.
- Copy this information into the excel sheet provided as shown in the example. If the field type is “Reference”, mark the corresponding column in the excel sheet as “Y”.
See example in the screenshot.
Do no edit or remove the fields “sys_id”, “name”, “manufacturer” and “model_id” from the excel sheet. Do not rename the excel file and ensure the extension is .xls and not .xlsx.
Mapping fields between the systems
This information is to be provided by the customer.
|ServiceNow_username||ServiceNow user name with webservices access|
|ServiceNow_password||ServiceNow user password|
Url or IP address of your HP UCMDB instance. Typically: http://myserver.service-now.com/
The port number can be added to the url: http://my_HP_ucmdb_server:port/
The device type to request to ServiceNow. Up to ten different types separated with a comma, without space, e.g.:
Do not add a comma after the last device type.
|Remove_deleted||Possible choices: Yes / No. See Deletion of devices.|
Desired location for the log file (default value can be used)
ServiceNow target table
DCO collects information about configuration items in the ServiceNow table called cmdb_ci.
Deletion of devices
The user can choose whether the information coming from ServiceNow and pushed to DCO should or should not be deleted in DCO when an asset is removed from the ServiceNow catalog.
This does not delete the actual device in the DCO model, only the ServiceNow information attached to this device.
See how to configure the deletion of devices.
CI polling interval (job scheduling)
|Up to 80 racks||60 minutes|
|From 61 to 300 racks||120 minutes|
|From 301 to 1000 racks||180 minutes|
|Above 1000 racks||Please contact technical support|
It is not recommended to configure a frequency lower than 60 minutes.
Configuring ServiceNow Connector in DCO
- Create a new import staging database (see ETL Database Configuration).
Download the .zip file from this page, available to verified Schneider Electric customers and personnel only.
If you cannot access the files, ensure you have a valid software support contract ready and contact technical support.
- Upload the .zip file from the above step to the DCO server to the
- From the server console (or ssh connection, e.g. using Putty), extract the files from the .zip, using this command:
sudo unzip /data/pentaho/import/Servicenow_Assets_Management_Connector_1.0.zip
- From the DCO UI, create a new ETL external system and fill in the connector parameters.
- Set polling interval and save your configuration.
- Restart the DCO client after completing the connector configuration.